Custard, banana, vanilla, grated chocolate and whipped cream, all that in a perfect pie crust... what else do you need to make your mouth water? but the ingredient that really makes this pie taste even better is vanilla paste, trust me it's the best vanilla I've ever tried and I really love that it has the seeds in it, I'm pretty sure that you'll love it as much as I do.
- 1 pie crust
- 2 medium bananas
- 2 c. of milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 c. of sugar
- 1/3 c. cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste
- 1/4 c. of grated milk chocolate
- 1/2 c. of fresh whipped cream
1. Preheat the oven at 360°C. Put the pie crust in a pie mold and bake it for about 10 minutes, meanwhile in a medium bowl whisk together 1/2 c. of milk, sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks. Put the rest of the milk in a medium saucepan and add the vanilla paste, bring to simmer without stirring.
2. Turn off the heat and gradually add milk to the egg and sugar mixture then return to saucepan whisking constantly to avoid lumps, cook for about 2 minutes or until it thickens. Transfer it to a bowl and cover it directly onto surface with plastic wrap, let it cool for about 4 hours.
[ here's the pastry cream with the vanilla beans ]
3. Slice bananas and set aside. Put a thin layer of pastry cream on the pie crust and cover it with bananas, then add a second layer of pastry cream and cover it with more bananas.
4. Finally add the rest of the pastry cream until you cover everything, sprinkle grated chocolate and decorate with whipped cream. Add a mint leaf to give the pie some color.
5. Let it cool for at least 2 hours, slice it and enjoy! It is delicious and one of my favorite pies so far